Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A new hobby...

 This is one of the receipts.  Crazy that I got all of the above items for just the tax. 

I have always tried to be a frugal person.  I was raised that way.  Well, about 2 months ago I started couponing.  Couponing brought frugality to a whole another level.  I got all of the above items for $5.66 and that includes tax.  What started this hobby (obsession)?  Well, I was talking to my Mom on the phone and she mentioned that she and my sister, Heather had started doing it and that she was making a binder for all of us that were interested in doing it.  So, I went to Boise and saw my sister in action doing couponing plus my Mom hooked me up with the binder.  I was ready!  After that I started getting 5 Sunday newspapers to maximize my coupons.  I really was only a couple dollars more than the regular 1 Sunday paper.  If you consider doing this, it really does take a couple of weeks to build up your coupons so that you start getting free stuff or really cheap stuff.  Here is the list of stuff I got this week: (The free stuff were because of Albertsons coupon where you can double any coupon.  These come out probably every other week.  I get other free stuff by watching sales and clearance items.)

14 bottles of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce:  Free 
1 bottle of soft scrub: $1
6 bags of life savers: $.15 each
6 Weber seasonings: Free
2 Welch's juice: free
2 Pantene shampoo:  $.14 each
2 olives: $.50 each
18 count tampons: $.50
Multi vitamin: Free
1 10 count Oxyclean: $1.00
TOTAL:  $5.66

Crazy huh?!  Well, if any of you are interested in checking out some of the websites that I use they are hip2save.com, fabulesslyfrugal.com, thriftymom.com, couponqueen.com.  I just clip my coupons on Sunday then go to these websites and they tell me what is free and where.  It's really that easy.  Well...almost.  Doing everything (clipping, organizing the coupons, checking the websites, figuring out a game plan and shopping) takes me probably 4 hours a week.  BUT, I have consistently saved about $60-$100 a week.  PLUS, I am building my food storage very economically, my girls get stuff they normally wouldn't get, I get stuff that I would normally buy anyway for free or very inexpensive, and it is a fun hobby.  I think it is worth it.  Loving this new hobby.

6 comments:

  1. You guys are talented! I appreciate reaping the rewards from your hard work:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. It's so addictive! i think i'll be missing the rest of these deals this week though. I'm not really up to heading to the store. Thanks for the Pedialyte and movies though. Hp loves the Ped. which is very comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate you trying to get me going on this:) I will eventually get there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So impressive! When I see the savings it makes me want to try, but I get hung up on getting 5 Sunday papers and trying to keep everything all organized. But obviously you must save enough to pay for your newspaper subscription, right? I might have to think about it some more...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's kind of addicting, ain't it? I'll have to get some of your great deals!

    ReplyDelete