My sweet Great Uncle Glen passed away yesterday, April 14 in the night. He was 92. He is my Grandpa Blaser's brother and an integral part in my life. I just wanted to share some of the memories that I have of him.
In elementary school we had Grandparents Day. Well, grandparents were in high demand in our family because there were usually 3-4 of us in elementary at the same time. Since we only had 1 grandpa (Grandpa Blaser) we called on our other "grandparents" to go too. So, Great Aunt Ruth and Uncle Glen usually were invited and they always came. We rotated them each year so I got to have each of them a couple of times in my elementary years. Grandpa always brought candy in his pocket so he would slip my classmates some candy and tell funny jokes. Grandma Ruth was always very sweet and seemed to adopt those kids that didn't have grandparents into our group. So, she served as a grandma for 3-4 kids. Uncle Glen was always funny. He would calls the boys girls and the girls boys. The kids would try to correct him, but he would tease them. He was also very funny. I loved it when I got to have any of them because each brought something special.
Uncle Glen also came by the house too. I remember his great sense of humor and generosity. Grandpa Blaser was that way too. They must have had great parents because they both had a very giving heart and were extremely funny.
When we would go over to Uncle Glen's and Aunt Ruth's house they always fed us. I remember their huge rotweilers too. That freaked me out a little...ok, a lot. They also had a pool in their backyard. I just rememeber Uncle Glen sending the dogs to play in the pool when they were getting to be a bit much in the house. I think the pool was just used for their dogs...at least that's what I thought when I was younger.
Uncle Glen could build a fire! It was a roaster! Grandpa did that too...again...I think it was a family trait. He had a fire going in the 100 degree summers. He ALWAYS had one going and if he didn't, he would start one in his fireplace.
In more recent years everyone knew not to eat at his house because he would get forgetful and leave food out for days. If you didn't know that you learned the hard way. :) He was always offering food to eveyone so it was tough to turn it down.
Uncle Glen drove a little pick up truck. He loved his truck. My Grandpa had a truck too. Again, a lot of similarities between Grandpa and Uncle Glen....maybe that's why I feel so close to Uncle Glen and why it feels like Grandpa has died again because Uncle Glen was the last of Grandpa's brothers that I knew well. That is sad to me.
Just recently at Christmas this past year he conducted Christmas Eve and told everyone that he was going to die. He called everyone unto repentance and shared some family stories. I wasn't there, but wished I would have been. He was a very spiritual person and I admire that trait in him.
Uncle Glen you will be missed, but we know we will see you again. Thanks for being a grandpa and an example to me in my life. You were loved by many and will never be forgotten.
We are headed to Boise this weekend for his funeral on Monday. I am looking forward to hearing about the legacy he created and paying tribute to his life.
What a neat tribute. He really was a great man. I love the stories that are shared about him, we definitely have fun relatives:)
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about your loss. It is difficult to lose a loved one like that, but he sounds like he was a great man and you have given him a wonderful tribute.
ReplyDeleteIt was Glenn Blaser from your other post. I grew up with that man and love him dearly. Since none of my family live in that ward anymore I didn´t know. He will be missed.
ReplyDelete